What are the desired characteristics of a fit-for-purpose 21st-century government?
The Covid19 crisis has shown that governments are no longer fit for purpose. Today’s complex and cross-cutting societal challenges demand new principles, approaches and tools.
Demos Helsinki and Marcos Bonturi, former OECD Director for Public Governance, welcome you to the webinar Novel Ways to Problem-Solve to discuss the desired characteristics of a fit-for-purpose 21st-century government.
The focus of the webinar will be on the types of hands-on implementation support that fits best in different contexts. The webinar proceedings will be published in a brochure, “Characteristics of a 21st Century Government “.
Date: Wednesday, 2 December 2020
Time: 15:00–17:00 (UTC +1)
Location: Zoom (register to receive the link)
1. Current priorities on government innovation
The current crises and complex challenges have urged governments to introduce innovations into their operations. Innovation has become a must-have in the very core of governments as they now need to tackle overlapping crises. This session maps the current priorities on government innovation and creates a shared understanding of the possibilities of mainstreaming innovation.
Moderator: Marcos Bonturi, former OECD Director
- Carlos Santiso, Director, Governance Practice of CAF
- Janos Bertok, Deputy Director, Public Governance Directorate, OECD
- Aarathi Krishnan, Strategy & Foresight Advisor, UNDP
2. Forerunner cases describing the future characteristics of government
Selected cases of experimentalist mindset, agile governance models and improving capabilities to lead digital transformation will take us along on a journey of a 21st century government transformation. The cases offer us learnings on how the future government should look like.
Speakers (some still to be announced):
- Finland: Eeva Kaunismaa, Ministry of Finance, Strategy of Public Governance of ensuring shared direction for administration reforms
- Brazil: Bruna Santos, Director for Innovation of the Brazilian public administration school
- Serbia: Marta Arsovska Tomovska, Tech and Digital Government Executive Advisor, former Minister
Moderator: Johannes Anttila, Senior Expert, Governance Innovation, Demos Helsinki
3. Concluding Remarks
Juha Leppänen, Chief Executive of Demos Helsinki